Sunday 3 September 2017

Watermelon juice

If there is any fruit that takes me back to my childhood memories, then that is my favourite watermelon. This is the fruit that I ate the most during my childhood. Every summer, which is a  season of watermelon, this fruit was sold in a watermelon cart, that would come near our house and all the kids, who loved this amazing fruit would run towards the cart to buy their favourite fruit. Today, I am not so lazy like I was in those days 😊 when it comes to deseeding this fruit.  My dear Mom would chop and deseed the watermelon for me and my brother, and we would leisurely have the chunks of this juicy fruit, with its juicy drippings sliding down on our small chins and our hands all sticky and wet with watermelon juice. Today, times have changed, watermelons are available in store in even chopped and deseeded forms, but those days, it was not so.

Have this fruit in any form, but I feel one must have watermelons every summer as it really hydrates the body.


Not only that, the watermelon juice, which we will learn to prepare can be used to quench the thirst and refresh the body during the tiring hot summer days.






Here is the list of ingredients and the method to prepare the watermelon juice.


INGREDIENTS :

(1) Watermelon cubes deseeded (If seedless watermelon not available)
(2) Lemon juice -  2 table spoon (Optional)
(3) A small piece of Ginger (Optional)
(4) Few Mint leaves (Optional)
(5) Sugar (if required)

Recipe type : Beverage
Serves : 2 persons

METHOD :

(1) Wash watermelon under running water. Cut it to two halves. Remove the seeds (Deseed). Tender white seeds can be used for the juice as they have health benefits too like they are edible and are known to cleanse the kidneys. Chop the watermelon pulp from the rind cut the pulp into bite sized cubes. Keep them in the refrigerator in a large bowl. 

(2) Once cool, add them into the blending jar along with the optional ingredients mentioned above in the ingredients list and blend until smooth. Add sugar if required. This method will not require us to add ice cubes. 

(3) Strain the juice using a strainer and collect the juice into a serving jug. Serve the juice immediately in serving glasses as shown.



I did not have any of the optional ingredients mentioned above. I did not even use sugar, the watermelon was that sweet. The juice I showed in the picture is prepared using just the watermelon only. However, I will try to prepare again using lemon juice, ginger and mint leaves and see how it tastes. 

This experience of preparing this watermelon juice was an emotional one for me as this time, I prepared it for my dear Mom like she use to chop and deseed the fruit for me during my childhood. After so many years, and first time after beginning this blog, here is the watermelon treat for my Mom from me. 




Dear readers, try preparing this juice and relish it! Its truely amazing treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment